Wednesday, June 25, 2014

We're sorry, you'll be put on a waiting list

The ball started rolling. I got a call from the referral coordinator at the peds office. I contacted the intake coordinator for the development pediatrician office. They sent me a packet of no joke, 30 pages. Questions included "What were the mother's grades in high school?" Really, my high school grades may determine if my child has a disability?!? I also had a question that asked if I had any sickness during pregnancy. I mailed in the packet as soon as possible and sat and waited. And waited. A few weeks later I got another phone call. "Ma'am we don't take your son's health insurance plan so we will be unable to see him unless you want to pay out of pocket for all the tests."

Back on the phone. I talked to the referral coordinator and there was no one else in town that could help my son. So, we switched health plans for John. Another month went by waiting for the new insurance. April 1 the new insurance began and I called the office. "You are able to see my son, now." The response was "We're sorry but you'll be put on a waiting list." I was informed the waiting list could take a year or in some cases longer. Really? So much for early intervention. I had to help my son. I could NOT wait a year. I made an appointment at Nemours Children's Clinic for mid June. The first appointment available. Until then, I talked with parents of children who had autism and did whatever I could to help my son during the waiting process.

No comments:

Post a Comment