Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The appointment finally came...but we weren't finished.

The day for the appointment came. I could barely sleep the night before. I had accepted that my son had autism but hearing it from another person would be a different story. No parent wants to hear in so many words "I'm sorry but there isn't something right with your child." We arrived early and the Neuropsychologist did her observations and the CARS (Childhood Autism Rating Scale) assessment for John. John scored mildly autistic. The outlook was good. She said we couldn't cure autism but early intervention would help John tremendously.

 The Dr. informed us the CARS wasn't enough for an official diagnosis to be written though and that we would need another evaluation, the ADOS. However, if we did it in her office, it would cost us about $1000. She suggested we ask the school district to do the assessment and she would sign the diagnosis. Just in case you don't know, a diagnosis is needed to fund therapies. My son would need intensive language and ABA therapy. So our next step was to contact the school district. Long story short...no help. The school psychologists are booked with summer appointments and the earliest my son could have testing would be September.

This was just not good enough for me so I have moved forward with another option. Pray for us as we continue this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment