Monday, June 30, 2014

A trip to Target

Today we went to Wolfson's rehab for a speech/language evaluation for John. It went well and hopefully we can get him some language therapy outside of school soon. I had to take the kids to Target after to pick up diapers for Kate. I seriously had five diapers left at home so I had to go today to get them. It is sometimes difficult walking into stores with John so I usually will go grocery shopping or to stores alone to purchase items. All the lights, sounds, colors, noises, it is often too much stimulation for him. We walked into Target and John started screaming. This automatically receives stares. Most people just think it's a bratty child that can't be controlled. This is not to say my child never misbehaves.

However, I took this moment as an opportunity to try to calm him and show him how to act in a store. I talked to him calmly and explained what we were at the store for.  I had an older lady stop me and ask if there was anything she could do to help. I told her my son had autism and had a difficult time going into stores sometimes. She said "you're a good mom and doing a good job." I'm not telling you this because I have it all together because I don't. I need the Lord's help daily. I do think we need more people in the world like this woman though. I was so thankful for her encouraging words instead of judgement.

1 comment: