Thursday, June 26, 2014

A little about the bear

My sweet boy was born in 2011. We were eagerly excited to meet our precious gift from the Lord. I cried with joy as they placed this 7lb 8oz baby into my arms. All was right with the world. We were in love! John made normal milestones. Crawling around 7 months, walking around 14 months. He babbled as an infant and babbled dada around 8 months. John said not many but a few more words in the following months. At fifteen months the doctor asked about how words he had. About five, I answered. That's ok, she answered, but if you don't see growth here is a brochure from Early Steps. I heard the same thing I had heard from many of others. I had heard that boys developed slower than girls and that every child was different.

I had a very active and loving boy.  John had an unusual sense of direction and great memory for a young age, crying every time we went past his friend, Emma's neighborhood, crying when we made U-turns, or went directions that were out of the ordinary. John turned 18 months and we returned to the Dr. I was asked how language was developing. John had maybe 10 single words in his vocabulary. We really would like to see at least 15, she said. I received another Early Steps brochure. I thought about calling but I didn't as long he was making growth. John was learning new words, even saying the word "touchdown." He seemed more interested in talking. We were doing flash cards and learning sign language and then the words started  coming out less often. John's lack of communication was frustrating him and often caused many tantrums. I called Early Steps when he was 20 months old. Because Early Steps is a state funded program there was a short wait.  We had to wait about 2 months. He was 22 months old when he was evaluated the first time.

At the evaluation they check the five areas: gross motor, fine motor, social/emotional, communication and cognitive. My son scored very high on the gross motor and low on communication. However, his deficit wasn't enough to qualify for services. I left somewhat relieved but also disappointed. I just thought his language was taking a little longer to develop and he was focusing on the physical developments of his body. My son communicated to us in LOVE, giving hugs without saying a word.

John turned 25 months and my daughter, Kate was born. Life was busy. My daughter was born with hip dysplasia and had to wear a hip brace for two months. Shortly after we started going to PT for her.     July came and I decided to call Early Steps. We went in August and sure enough, my son had such a gap in the communication and cognitive areas that he qualified for a speech therapist to come to our home. So we had therapy in home from September to January. In January, John turned three and transitioned to the school system. His teacher has been wonderful and the class is seven children with three adults. Since being in the class John has learned his name and comes home knowing new words everyday. He is making progress between me and my husband working with him and his wonderful teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment